Your Xfinity router is a very useful device that provides you with fast and reliable Internet access. However, when we use it, many things can go wrong and in such a situation, you may need to reset your router to factory default.
After this all your custom settings including WiFi network name and password will be erased and any device currently connected to the router will be disconnected.
Reset Xfinity Router to Factory Defaults
In such a situation, if you want to take this step, then you will need some steps which are mentioned below.
There are two ways to reset your Xfinity router to factory defaults:
Using the reset button:
This is the easiest and most useful way to reset Xfinity router.
To do this, you have to find the reset button on the back of your router. This button is usually a small hidden button that you have to press with a paperclip or other small object.
When it goes to process, keep the reset button pressed for at least 30 seconds until all the LED lights turn off.
After the light turns off, your Xfinity modem resets. After this, you will have to reset the WiFi settings and reconnect all other devices.
Using the Xfinity website:
The second method is to reset the Xfinity router using the website. This comes in handy if you have forgotten your password or if you are unable to access the reset button.
To do this use:
- You have to go to the official website of Xfinity which is https://www.xfinity.com/.
- Sign in to your account then click on My Account Type.
- Inside this type, you have to click on the Internet option.
- After which you will see the Gateway tab, click on it.
- After the gateway, you have to click on the reset button.
- Here you will see Restore Factory Settings, click on it.
What Happens When You Reset Your Xfinity Router To Factory Defaults?
Whenever you reset your Xfinity router to factory defaults, then all its custom settings are erased. The following information is included in these custom settings:
- Wi-Fi network name and password
- DHCP settings
- DNS settings
- Firewall settings
- Parental controls
- Any other custom settings that you have made
Why might you need to reset your Xfinity router to factory defaults?
Here are some reasons why you may need to reset your Xfinity router to factory defaults:
- If you forget the router’s password then it needs to be reset.
- Needed when you encounter a problem with the Internet connection service.
- If you’ve changed your modem or ISP, you may need to reset the router.
- If you have made some changes in the settings of the router but it is not required then this process has to be done.
Is there anything else I need to know about resetting my Xfinity router?
There are also some important things that you have to keep in mind while resetting the Xfinity router.
- You should know the name and password of your default WiFi whenever you go to reset the router. This information is on the back of your router.
- If you have made any custom setting and you want to keep it safe. Then you have to login to the router’s web interface and save it, which you can also export.